History of the United Methodist Church at Lakewood

Jack M. Tuell was appointed as first pastor of the United Methodist Church at Lakewood on June 19, 1955. July 20 was our first service in the rented Lakewood Center Recreation Hall. It was attended by 125 people.

 

The church was chartered on December 4, 1955.

 

Construction of the church began in 1957. In 1962 attendance was over 330 worshipers each Sunday. More than 1,040 people attended Easter services that year. In 1965 attendance at Sunday school reached a high point with 400 adults and children each week. 

 

The United Methodist Church at Lakewood is now 60 years old. We take pride in our past, our present diversity, and our place in the City of Lakewood. 

 

We still have much to do so people know that Jesus walks with them. We are the future of the United Methodist Church at Lakewood as we continue to be a blessing to our community and each other.

  • facebook-square